Why Are There All These Blank Spaces?

You may notice that in some of my posts there are blank spaces in the reviews. These are spoilers that I've written so I can remember important details of the books when I want to read the sequel. I've made the text a beige color to blend in with the background so you won't accidentally see something you don't want to. If you want to read it, just highlight the section to make the text appear - although you should really just read the book yourself! :)

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Watcher in the Woods

by Robert Liparulo


This book is the sequel to House of Dark Shadows. I liked the first book even though it left you with a total cliff-hanger. So I was eager to pick up the second book and continue the story.

This book starts up right where the first left off and does reveal some new details to the story and hints about the origin of the house. However, many more questions are posed than are answered. And once again, this edition to the series ends with another non-ending. The book as a whole felt more like a long chapter ripped out of the middle of the actual book. It reminded me of The Spiderwick Chronicles in that way - each book must be read in order, and you have to read them all in order to have a complete story. Unlike Harry Potter, or the Twilight series (where each book is a separate story that contributes to the overall saga) this series is one story broken up into multiple books. It is an interesting concept, but I wish there was some resolution at the end of each. The third book, Gatekeepers came out in January, so I'll see how the story continues soon!

No comments: