Why Are There All These Blank Spaces?

You may notice that in some of my posts there are blank spaces in the reviews. These are spoilers that I've written so I can remember important details of the books when I want to read the sequel. I've made the text a beige color to blend in with the background so you won't accidentally see something you don't want to. If you want to read it, just highlight the section to make the text appear - although you should really just read the book yourself! :)

Monday, January 12, 2009

Vampire Academy

by Richelle Mead


Happy Birthday to me! This book was a birthday present from Dani (my often spoken of book-loving friend who never writes her own entries anymore!) :)

Before reading the Twilight series I'd never read any vampire novels. So when Dani gave me this book (the start of a new series) I wasn't sure what to expect. The vampire world that Richelle Mead creates is very different from Meyer's Twilight. This book is darker, and considerably more mature in language and content. I didn't really care for the language used in this book, but the story was interesting enough that I wanted to keep reading.

There are a lot of fun (and a lot of annoying) characters in this book. And I mean the annoying thing in a positive way - you're supposed to find them annoying. Rose was tough and sassy while Lissa was sweet and caring. The two creating an interesting duo. The male characters were also an intriguing lot. Dimitri, Christian, Mason, Jesse - all of them different and funny or sweet or interesting in their own ways.

While this book didn't have quite the mesmerizing "stupor" effect I spoke of with Twilight, it did suck me in, and I proceeded to read the next two books in the series in the next two days. I have not been very social, and my sleeping has suffered a bit, but it was fun!

No comments: