Why Are There All These Blank Spaces?

You may notice that in some of my posts there are blank spaces in the reviews. These are spoilers that I've written so I can remember important details of the books when I want to read the sequel. I've made the text a beige color to blend in with the background so you won't accidentally see something you don't want to. If you want to read it, just highlight the section to make the text appear - although you should really just read the book yourself! :)

Monday, March 15, 2010

The Blue Shoe

by Roderick Townley


Once again, I'm not really sure what I want to say about this book. It was good, but not I-wanna-rave-about-it good.

The Blue Shoe is the story of Hap Barlow, an apprentice to town's cobbler. Accused of stealing, young Hap is banished to the harsh mountain of Xexnax. Hap is sad to leave his master and friend, Grel, but he is also anxious to get to the mountain as he hopes he will be able to rescue his father who was sent there a few years prior. However, once Hap arrives on the mountain, things are not at all like he'd imagined. Hap must use all his wits to survive on this mountain.

The book has a few moments in the narrative that really catch you attention due to their interesting phrasing. However, there are also a few moments where the author breaks the narrative style to address the reader. (Much like Kate DiCamillo's style - a style I don't always like.)

The story was interesting, but didn't fully realize the mystery I thought was potential in the beginning. By the end the story tried to return to that mysterious element, but by this point it felt like an afterthought.

No comments: