Why Are There All These Blank Spaces?

You may notice that in some of my posts there are blank spaces in the reviews. These are spoilers that I've written so I can remember important details of the books when I want to read the sequel. I've made the text a beige color to blend in with the background so you won't accidentally see something you don't want to. If you want to read it, just highlight the section to make the text appear - although you should really just read the book yourself! :)

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Gatekeepers

by Robert Liparulo


I've finally gotten around to reading the next book in the "Dreamhouse Kings" series. This book comes after Watcher in the Woods which comes after House of Dark Shadows. I liked Gatekeepers better than Watcher. The story was more interesting and some questions about the house begin to get answered.

However, my complaints remain the same: more questions are asked than answered, and the book ends right at the climax as each previous book has done. The first half of the book is spent resolving the climax from the previous book while the second half is spent creating a new one. So of course now I'm obligated to read the next book if I wish to know what happens. And while this may be a good book-selling strategy, it does annoy me. It's a good premise - I would have read the whole series even if they had been written the normal way!

No comments: