Why Are There All These Blank Spaces?

You may notice that in some of my posts there are blank spaces in the reviews. These are spoilers that I've written so I can remember important details of the books when I want to read the sequel. I've made the text a beige color to blend in with the background so you won't accidentally see something you don't want to. If you want to read it, just highlight the section to make the text appear - although you should really just read the book yourself! :)

Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

by Kate DiCamillo


I read this book in less than an hour today when I was subbing (during the times I was without students).

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane is the story of a child's china rabbit of the same name. While the rabbit's owner loves him very much, Edward is a proud, vain toy who cares nothing for anyone buy himself. All this changes one day when Edward is lost at sea. It is then when his journey truly begins. Edward finds himself passed from one pair of hands to another. And gradually, along the way, Edward learns to love. He goes through many trials and sorrows that cause him to want to harden his heart forever, but through the wisdom of others Edward learns to open his heart again.

This is really quite a beautiful story, however I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. For some children, parts of Edward's journey may be too frightening or upsetting. However, for many the messages of learning to keep hope, and never stop loving even through the direst of circumstances is a much needed one.

No comments: