Why Are There All These Blank Spaces?

You may notice that in some of my posts there are blank spaces in the reviews. These are spoilers that I've written so I can remember important details of the books when I want to read the sequel. I've made the text a beige color to blend in with the background so you won't accidentally see something you don't want to. If you want to read it, just highlight the section to make the text appear - although you should really just read the book yourself! :)

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Confessions of a Shopaholic

by Sophie Kinsella


I went to see the movie Confessions of a Shopaholic and loved it so much that I decided I needed to read the book. The movie was funny and sweet so I had high hopes for the novel that inspired it. After all, the book is nearly always better than the movie!

Wrong.

I hated this book! In fact, I didn't even finish it. I hardly ever abandon a book. Only once before have I not finished a book that I chose to read. But I just could not stand this one any more.

In the movie, the main character Rebecca is funny. She just can't seem to help herself when it comes to buying things. But despite this you feel bad for her. She's endearing despite her often silly ideas.

The the book Rebecca is mean. She buys way to much and it's just annoying. She curses, and mocks people and is deceitful.

The movie was hilarious, sweet and innocent.

The book was cringe-worth, obnoxious and kind of dirty.

I read 5 chapters and decided that was enough for me.

I'll stick to the movie this time around.

1 comment:

The Know-it-all said...

aww..I really liked this book :P too bad it wasnt your thing. She grows on you eventually. One of the few main characters in any book I've ever read who isn't annoyingly indecisive or perfect.