Why Are There All These Blank Spaces?

You may notice that in some of my posts there are blank spaces in the reviews. These are spoilers that I've written so I can remember important details of the books when I want to read the sequel. I've made the text a beige color to blend in with the background so you won't accidentally see something you don't want to. If you want to read it, just highlight the section to make the text appear - although you should really just read the book yourself! :)

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Darklight

by Lesley Livingston


Darklight is a respectable sequel to it's predecessor Wondrous Strange. However, there were a few aspects of the book that left me wanting.

First, it was really unclear what the point of the book was for a long time. What climax are we climbing toward? At one point it seems like it will have something to do with Auberon, but no, it actually ends up being something else entirely! A plot twist that wasn't even hinted at until halfway through.

Secondly, a few things were left unexplained at the end of the book. (*Spoilerish* One: Auberon's sickness, and two: the stuff about Sonny's parents.) Where Wondrous Strange succeeded in setting itself up for a sequel while still having a complete conclusion to the individual entry, Darklight did not.

Last (*define spoilers*, the end annoyed me a little! Kelly making Sonny think she didn't love him anymore so he would leave and she could save him from himself and whatnot was a bit too "New Moon" for me. Why don't you just, I don't know, talk to him?! This story has been done before!)

However, despite these things I like the mix of Shakespeare and faeries, the faery world and the human world. It works well together and, despite having many similarities to other faery stories, it's unique and interesting. I'm still eager for the next book.

No comments: