Why Are There All These Blank Spaces?

You may notice that in some of my posts there are blank spaces in the reviews. These are spoilers that I've written so I can remember important details of the books when I want to read the sequel. I've made the text a beige color to blend in with the background so you won't accidentally see something you don't want to. If you want to read it, just highlight the section to make the text appear - although you should really just read the book yourself! :)

Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Lonely Hearts Club

by Elizabeth Eulberg

I don't really remember how I first heard about this book, but it's been on my list for a few months. Last weekend I finally got my hands on a copy.

First off, I like the Beatles references. It helps if you actually know the songs. Often the songs are names, and the content of the lyrics in mentions, but not really explained, so if you don't know the lyrics, you might miss something.

It's kinda nice to read a romantic book where many characters aren't coupled up by the end. Granted, we want the main character to, but it doesn't seem so "you're life is hopeless if you don't have a boyfriend" in this book.

A few minor annoying things:
- Penny's parents refer to her using both her first and middle name often - Penny Lane. A little silly sounding.
- And the end *minorly spoilerish* - why did Ryan leave with Todd when Todd was being such a jerk? I was just sure there would eventually be a really good, noble reason even for him to have done so, but there isn't really.
- The principal of the school is a unrealistic jerk. Much of the stuff he was doing he'd never be able to get away with.

All in all though I really enjoyed this book. It's fun. It's different. It's a great alternative to all the "I have to have a boyfriend!" books lurking out there in the YA section.

No comments: