Why Are There All These Blank Spaces?

You may notice that in some of my posts there are blank spaces in the reviews. These are spoilers that I've written so I can remember important details of the books when I want to read the sequel. I've made the text a beige color to blend in with the background so you won't accidentally see something you don't want to. If you want to read it, just highlight the section to make the text appear - although you should really just read the book yourself! :)

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Dandelion Fire

by N. D. Wilson


After much waiting (okay, so it was only 5 days after the release date, but for book-freaks like myself that is a long time to wait to be in possession of a book you want!) I was able to purchase and start reading the second book in the 100 Cupboards series, which I started reading last month.

I just love the cover of these books! And I wish you could see the back of it in this picture! The raggant has got to be the cutest thing ever!

Dandelion Fire (which, by the way, has got to be one of the coolest book titles over!) is a delightful addition to the story begun in 100 Cupboards. Dandelion Fire is faster paced, and seems to me to have a stronger edge of magic to it. One of the things I loved so much about 100 Cupboards was the way the book resolved enough, but left you with this great teaser of an ending that left you with chills and the rampant desire to read more! Dandelion Fire, while filled with action and twists and turns lacked this little element. The ending felt very neatly resolved. However, upon closer reflection I began to mentally list things that were in fact, left unresolved (spoilers contained):

- What happens to Nimiane? Is she dead? Wounded? Will she come back (oh, she better! She's such a delightful villain!)

- The Willis house is not back in Kansas. It's still in the alternate world. Will they find a way to bring it back to Kansas?

- The cupboards! Even without the arrow, the cupboards are still functional (at least we know some of them are) - N.D. Wilson gives us a story with 100 cupboards and we have only learned the destination or purpose of like 6 of them! Surely there must be more stories contained in the other 94!

- What about Henry's family? We only barely met his mom, dad, and sisters. Still have yet to learn more about the brothers.

- What about Henry's adoptive parents? Won't they be looking for them? And isn't the town of Henry going to wonder what happened to the family and the house?

- Now that Magdalene has the arrow back, can she use it to restore FitzFaeren?

- Oh yes, and what about the couple in Byzanthamum (can't remember their names right this second) who saved Henry? Will we hear more from them?

So yes, there is much yet to be explored! On N.D. Wilson's site I see a book listed with the title, "Chestnut King" - another brilliant title I must say - I'm hoping that this will be the next book in the series, and not the last either!

Dandelions are magic!

No comments: